The student news site of Cinnaminson High School

Ship's Log

Ship's Log

Ship's Log

Team “Family” Drives CHS Softball to Success

(Courtesy of Heather Derbyshire) The CHS Girls Softball team is currently 15-7 this season.

Despite suffering a loss (6-4) to Delran on Tuesday’s senior night, the girls’ softball team remains steadfast in their pursuit for the divisional title. After winning the division last season with a 21-5 record and 15-game winning streak, the team has welcomed two freshmen this season to make up for its graduation of two seniors at the end of last season. 

Currently 15-7 for the season and behind Northern Burlington in the Liberty division, the Lady Pirates had a nine-game winning streak mid-season before falling to Notre Dame.  

According to head coach Louis Arnold, he’s happy to have so many returning players. In his third year of coaching softball, Arnold, a CHS math teacher, has found major success. 

“I’m looking forward to a lot of returning players,” Arnold said. “A lot already have varsity experience and some big games so I am hoping that’ll help our overall attitude and our confidence as we face some tough competition again this year.”

While new to playing at the high school varsity level, freshman Hailee Hunter said she has experience playing with many of the girls on the team. 

“I grew up playing on the same travel team as almost everyone on the team, so it’s great to be back on the same field as them after so many years,” Hunter said.

Hunter, along with Makayla Sheker, are two of the freshmen on the varsity team. Although Hunter said she was nervous about playing high school softball at the beginning of the season, she has since settled in, thanks to her fellow teammates. 

“The upperclassmen made me feel welcomed and that really made me feel a lot better,” Hunter said. “It’s great to be surrounded by people that are always lifting each other up.  All of the upperclassmen are great teammates and I’m so lucky to have them.”

As Hunter and Sheker find their place on the team, seniors Kayla Meenan and Maddie Katchuk prepare for their final softball season as Pirates.

“I don’t hope to leave a legacy as much as I hope to show how big of an impact CHS softball had on my life,” Katchuk said.

With playoffs approaching soon, Coach Arnold wants to see the team win as much as possible.

“We always strive to get better with every single game,” Arnold said. “We know that we play in a very tough division, but if we optimally come out as division champs that’ll be great. And then try to finish and try to make it as high through the playoffs as we possibly can when the state tournament comes around.” 

Like Coach Arnold, junior captain Maddyn Rittler knows the girls’ bond will take them far.

“Something that I’ve been looking forward to most this season is seeing our team together and playing as a whole,” Rittler said. “My goals for this season is to win a Group II final and go on to states.”   

The Lady Pirates next play Lenape away on Friday, May 10 at 3:45 p.m.