The student news site of Cinnaminson High School

Ship's Log

Ship's Log

Ship's Log

Three CHS Students Participate in Annual Mummers Day Parade

%28Photo+Courtesy+of+James+Nugent%29+The+2024+parade+was+the+124th+Mummers+Day+parade+held+in+Philadelphia.+
(Photo Courtesy of James Nugent) The 2024 parade was the 124th Mummers Day parade held in Philadelphia.

New Year’s Day traditions consist of watching fireworks, making resolutions, and waiting for the ball to drop. However, another more local tradition is the annual Philadelphia Mummers Day parade that struts down Broad Street. Three students from Cinnaminson High School appeared in the 124th annual parade on January 1st.

Two of those students, senior Alyssa Auletto and sophomore Carrie Pisarek, describe their role in the parade. As members of the CHS marching band, both are also involved in the Durning String Band and contributed to their group’s music for the parade. 

“Percussion. We were both on the drum cart,” Pisarek said.

This year’s theme for Durning String Band was “Lights, Camel, Action” and featured music, costumes, and props centered around Arabian nights.

Pisarek said she has performed in three parades so far. In the most recent parade, Pisarek said she played the symphony. Auletto played the tambourine, shaker, and claves. This was her first year taking part in the tradition after being introduced to the idea by Pisarek. 

“Carrie got me into it, so I started like three weeks before the parade,” Auletto said.

For both Pisarek and Auletto, the Mummers Day Parade is a family affair. Mrs. Pisarek and Mrs. Auletto served as marshalls for the group, meaning they helped with props and set-up. Pisarek shared that her father was in the parade up until 20 years ago, which is what inspired her to join. She said her interest in partaking in the parade was also a way for her dad to rejoin.

“My dad used to be in it in the 80s and 90s, and I wanted to do it…I got him back into it because he stopped somewhere in the 2000s,” Pisarek said.

A third CHS student, junior James Nugent, also participated in the Mummers Day parade. Nugent was a marshal, which primarily involves his working with props and completing more behind-the-scenes, on-the-sidelines work. This was his second year participating in the annual parade.

“I have to block all the traffic, like, walking to the parade,” Nugent said. “I hold the boards that are decorated for our skit.”  

Pisarek and Auletto are not the only participants with family ties. Nugent explained that his involvement is because of his family’s tradition of participating annually.

“It was more of a family thing,” Nugent said. “Like, my family’s in it.”

Participating as a member of the Mummers Day parade is a big time commitment due to the extensive months of preparation and practice leading to the day of the parade. There is a lot of behind-the-scenes work that is not seen on camera. Pisarek elaborated on what viewers do not see on TV.

“A lot of just trying to make it work with the props and stuff, building props on the street, and makeup, costumes…” Pisarek said.

While the stress and nerves leading up to January 1st can be a lot,  all three students emphasize how being with their group on the big day helped to reduce their anxiety.

“It’s a lot of excitement,” Nugent said. “Stressful, as well. I mean, it’s a lot of fun though. Like, you know, just being in Philly with your group–it’s enjoyable.”

Pisarek and Auletto unanimously agree that their favorite part about the parade is the people they’re surrounded by. Pisarek describes their tight-knit group to be like kin.

“We’re like a family,” Pisarek said.

View Comments (1)