CHS Welcomes Chef Kane to This Year’s List of New Teachers

courtesy of eatapitaphilly.com

Chef Kane (white shirt) and his Partner at Eat-A-Pita, Jamie Kelly Steenson, pose side by side

Lexy Porrini, Staff Writer

It is always difficult to start something new, but a new job and a new career may be one of the most difficult things to start in life. Cinnaminson High School has hired many new teachers this year, one of whom is a foods teacher who is new to the world of education, Mr. Ralph Kane.

Mr. Kane’s interest in the culinary arts began when he was 16 working for a catering company. He loved the environment, “I worked all the time, every chance that I got.”

After going to Penn State to pursue a baseball career, he soon realized that he would rather be at The Culinary Institute of America, “the ‘Harvard’ of culinary schools,” as Kane describes. Chef Kane regards his time at school as “eye-opening”, at 21 years old, giving him the opportunity for many new experiences.

Before coming to Cinnaminson, Kane started his own business, Eat-A-Pita, which includes a restaurant in Philadelphia and food truck in the surrounding area. Chef Kane explained that, “What I loved about it [Eat-A-Pita] was we got to bring a healthy concept to the fast food market. I call it fast service, not fast food, because we make everything from scratch.”

While starting his own business was extremely difficult, it was made easier because Mr. Kane had partners involved as well, and so “it wasn’t a 100% financial burden on me,” he said.

As he is expecting a baby, the hours spent working his own business and food truck weren’t practical for a family, “Running your own business, developing your own brand…you’re looking at 60 to easily 90 hours a week.” He explains that while he is putting in many hours now, teaching is ultimately the best choice for him and his family.

Kane describes his time teaching at Cinnaminson so far as “a learning experience,” as the time crunch presents a new obstacle he had not encountered prior. “I’m noticing what I do well, what I don’t do well, and learning from it. What I love about being in this environment, is that we are all learning together,” he concluded.