Play Unified Begins Its 2023 Winter Basketball Season

Play Unified has started its winter 2023 season once again with basketball. While the Play Unified program started four years ago, CHS introduced it three years ago. Since its quiet beginning, word about the program has spread and more volunteers, coaches, and players have come out to support the team. With new volunteers joining, the team has had an influx of new faces eager to help out and offer a hand to players.

Although the number of players is roughly the same, the assistance of the added number of volunteers has not gone unnoticed. Coach Matt Digney commented on the significant increase of volunteers this season. 

“This is my third year doing it and the team has pretty much stayed the same,” Digney said. “We’ve been right around seven or eight players every year, but the number of volunteers have significantly increased. This year we have over 20. Last year we had about six or seven.”

Digney attributed the rising number of volunteers to more students learning about the Play Unified program. 

“I think the word is getting out, the program is still pretty new,” Digney said. “Word got out and kids want to help, we are so lucky to have all the help we have.”

The players have found enjoyment in being able to share the experience with more students. Digney said he appreciates the amount of new involvement in the program this year as it helps to create a good environment for the players.

“What’s great is you have a bunch of different voices out there,” Digney said. “It’s just great to have that much involvement, the team loves it because they have coaches, a cheering section, and partners. It makes for a really good setting.”

Photos courtesy of Rylee Vogelman

Coach Tracy Savoca is also a new member of the Play Unified basketball team this season. She said she enjoys seeing the partnership develop between the players and volunteers.

“They’ve been great, they’re very helpful,” Savoca said. “They come out, they’re eager and work well with the kids. It’s nice to see that partnership.”

Savoca expressed that joining Play Unified this season has been rewarding. She said getting to know the kids on the team has provided her with a fun experience.

“It’s a very rewarding experience, it’s a lot of fun,” Savoca said. “I get to see different kids that I don’t see on a typical school day so it’s been fun getting to know different kids.”

A big part of this experience has been practice. Savoca explained that the coaches and volunteers acting as partners combined has provided the ability to learn the fundamentals of basketball.

“We just work on the basics. Dribbling, passing, and working a basic 2-3 zone,” Savoca said.

Digney wants to make sure the team is having fun and is prepared for the challenges they face on the court.

“They gotta get up and down and sometimes they’re going to get a little tired, but that’s okay we take lots of water breaks,” Digney said. “We want them to be able to go home and be able to explain what they did that day to whoever’s at home.”

This past Saturday, the team attended a tournment at Moorestown. It was an opportunity for the team to see and play a lot of different teams.

“Last year we had seven or eight games and this year we’re over 10 so we’re just trying to see what’s out there and enjoy ourselves,” Digney said ahead of the tournament.

Both coaches expressed how they believe more people should come out and watch the team play this season. For Savoca, she thinks the kids would enjoy seeing some of their peers at games.

“It’s something great to be a part of and people should come check out our games – we play right after school,” Savoca said. “I know the kids would love to see some of the other students at their games.”

Students who have attended the games have said they enjoyed them. Senior Evelyn Chomicz supported her brother, Alex Chomicz, at one of his games. She said she had fun seeing him and his teammates play.

“I enjoyed seeing my brother play and seeing him be active with his friends along with the kids from neighboring schools,” Chomicz said. “It was also nice to see him having so much fun.”

Photo courtesy of Rylee Vogelman

Digney said he hopes that more people come out to support them in the upcoming games this season.

“I think it’s a wonderful opportunity not only for the athletes but for us coaches, volunteers, fans, the school, and the community,” Digney said. “A lot of people may have heard about it or read about it, but they should definitely take a chance and go out and watch a game. They’d be really impressed with what the team and athletes are doing. I think they would walk away extremely happy.”