CHS Golf Team on Par for a Strong Season

Image+courtesy+of+Steven+Shircliff+%28Unsplash%29+

Image courtesy of Steven Shircliff (Unsplash)

With a 7-1 record, the CHS golf team is dominating their season, losing only one match to Holy Cross in early May.

“Holy Cross, they are in our division and they are really solid as golfers who are gonna play in college and some really good seniors,” Coach Bret Jenkins said about the Lancers being the Pirates’ biggest rival.

According to Jenkins, last season was seen as an unexpected success after the team garnered the sectionals title and finished 10-5. Having only graduated one senior at the end of last season, this year’s team has been able to build on this prior success.

The team being led by six seniors, the majority of whom have been playing together since freshman year, has also contributed to the team’s winning record.

“I think our top four guys are seniors and have a ton of experience, so I believe that it comes down to experience,” Jenkins said.

Having clinched the BCSL division title for the second year in a row, the Pirates finished second in sectionals with strong performances from seniors Pearse Lee (87), Nick DiLeo (88), Nate Weick (88), and sophomore Ryan Gibson (95).

For the first time in 13 years, co-ed golf includes a female on the team, Mariella DeCristofaro.

“She’s only a freshman at the moment but is growing as a golfer,” Jenkins said. “I think next year she’s gonna contribute more and gain more every day.”

Senior Pearse Lee knows the importance of practice. As a non-starter his freshman year, Lee has improved on his game and placed second overall in this season’s Burlington County Open. According to Lee, golf is also a mental game.

“You can be a great golfer, you can have every part of the game locked down, but if you don’t have your mental game then you can fall apart.” Lee said.

In looking ahead to next season, Coach Jenkins is preparing for the graduation of this year’s seniors.

”I think next year could be a rebuilding for the learning curve,” Jenkins said. “We have three freshmen on the team, two solid sophomores, and a junior so we are still able to grow, but it will definitely be rebuilding.”

Although the seniors will be missed next season, sophomore Ryan Gibson is confident the team will be able to continue their success. Gibson said he has become a better golfer because of their support.

“They taught me a lot of tricks and good lessons and definitely helped out by playing with them in practices and just by hanging out with them,” Gibson said.

The team will compete in the Tournament of Champions on Tuesday before their last match against Northern Burlington on Wednesday, May 18.