Boys’ Basketball Team reaches Halfway Point in their Season

Senior+Jalen+Roberts+contests+a+shot+%28photo+courtest+of+the+boys+basketball+team%29.+

Senior Jalen Roberts contests a shot (photo courtest of the boys’ basketball team).

Returning from a shortened season, the Cinnaminson Pirates Boys’ Basketball team got right back into the old swing of things. Last season was full of unknowns, but this season, basketball has a “normal” feeling again according to players and coaches. The boys are no longer playing in empty gyms and are eager to have their student section back.

“Besides wearing a mask during the game and having players quarantin[ed],” head coach Michael Fries noted, “it’s been just like any other season.”

Having competed in 11 games, the Pirates have a 5-8 record and are 1-4 in their division. They are currently ranked fourth in the BCSL Freedom Division.

Zion Ingram-Moore & Joel Blamon (photo courtesy of the boys’ basketball team).

The Pirates have big hopes for this season’s team, which finished 6-7 last season.

“Our goals are to make the state tournament, limit our turnovers to less than 11 per game, and shoot over 70% from the free-throw line as well as out rebound our opponents for each game,” Fries said.

Currently, freshman Noah Harvey leads the team in total points this season, with 108. Harvey has made 15 three-point shots and 24 two-point field goals. Freshman Drew Harvey and senior Avery Stewart are close behind, tallying 105 points each this season. Drew Harvey leads the team in steals, with a total of five, while Stewart leads in rebounds at 13 so far this season. Stewart and junior Joel Blamon are tied for the most blocks, with two apiece.

With a diverse team of six seniors, two juniors, and three freshmen, the Pirates have had to work hard at syncing with each other. The varying ages have added a good mix of perspectives that have pushed the team to be better as a whole.

The basketball team huddles with their coaches (photo courtesy of the boys’ baketball team)

“Some of the upperclassmen have been great role models for the younger players and the younger players are pushing the older players to play at a higher level,” Fries said.

Senior Zion Ingram-Moore looked back on previous seasons and reflected that playing with such a range of players has taught him valuable life lessons.

“One thing I will always remember is [that] heart will always beat talent”, Ingram- Moore said.

Derw Harvey (photo courtesy of the boys’ basketball team).

Freshman Drew Harvey, a top scorer, credits his newfound success to his teammates.

“I’d say my teammates help me stay motivated as well as succeed on and off the court; we [are] so close as a team,” Harvey said.

Junior Adam Horner, who recently became the team captain, shared some advice for younger basketball players hoping to be on the team in upcoming years.

“I would say work hard, play hard,” Horner said.

The Pirates are looking forward to a strong season. Their next home game is tomorrow against Doane Academy.

Adam Horner (photo courtesy of the boys’ basketball team).

With 25 games this season, the basketball team has some of the most competitions out of all the sports at CHS. The Pirates are around the halfway point in their season, with upcoming matches against Delran, New Egypt, and Northern Burlington. To learn more about boys basketball at CHS, visit nj.com.