The student news site of Cinnaminson High School

Ship's Log

Ship's Log

Ship's Log

Seniors Fill Crucial Leadership Roles on Cheer Team

%28Photo+courtesy+of+Kayla+Meenan%29.+Four+of+the+seven+seniors+on+the+winter+cheer+team.+Olivia+Kamaras%2C+Kayla+Meenan%2C+Alexis+Daniels%2C+and+Olivia+Arnold+serve+as+co-captains+for+the+30-member+squad.+
(Photo courtesy of Kayla Meenan). Four of the seven seniors on the winter cheer team. Olivia Kamaras, Kayla Meenan, Alexis Daniels, and Olivia Arnold serve as co-captains for the 30-member squad.

The Cinnaminson High School cheer team plays an important role in promoting school spirit, and at the heart of this sport are the cheerleaders themselves. Performing at girls’ and boys’ home basketball games, the winter cheer squad differs from the team that cheers on the Pirates football team in the fall. 

Although both squads are similar in who comprises the team, the expectations and routines are different between seasons. In the fall the team is more consistently dancing and cheering whereas in the winter the cheers are less frequent and dances are only at halftime. 

“Winter cheerleading is more challenging because people do things outside of cheer, making it harder to learn more skills,” senior captain Kayla Meenan said. 

In addition to trying to manage everybody’s schedules, there are also differences in how to cheer for basketball versus how to cheer for football. Head coach Kim Kramer lists the differences between cheering for the football and basketball seasons.

“There are a lot of differences I would say, the biggest one is being indoors vs outdoors,” Kramer said. “Because being in the gym is weather-controlled whereas outside if it is raining that affects our ability to do some of the abilities and stunts. And the majority of our sideline cheers are sitting down during basketball season, but in football season we are standing up.”

As a member of both the fall and winter cheer squads over the years, Meenan is grateful for the sport. 

“I made most of my best friends from cheer,” Meenan said. “…Friday night football games are the highlight of my year.” 

Cheerleading has offered the opportunity for girls to create strong relationships and lasting memories. Senior captain Olivia Kamaras said one of her most memorable experiences being a cheerleader was the cheerleading camp the team attends in preparation for the season. 

“We do that in June. We go to Monmouth University and try out for All-American,” Kamaras said. 

According to Kramer, the squad’s seven seniors play an important role on the cheerleading team. 

“…four of them are captains so they have really stepped up as leaders to teach all the sideline cheers, dances, halftime dances, stunts, pyramids, give helpful tips, and really worked collectively well,” Kramer said. 

With a total of 30 members on the team, the majority of the squad are underclassmen who look up to the seniors. Ahead of postseason play for both basketball teams, Kramer said it has been a successful season thus far.

“The season is going really well, the captains are doing a really good job at leading the team, and both of the basketball teams are having a great season,” Kramer said. 

The team cheered for the last regular season game of both the girls’ and boys’ basketball games on February 7 with both teams ending with wins over Palmyra. 

With playoffs coming up, the cheerleading team looks forward to supporting and showing their Pirate pride for the boys’ and girls’ basketball teams.