Drama Club Makes History with Six Performances of “Chicago”

Photo courtesy of Chelsea Bohn-Pozniak

For the first time in CHS history, the drama club, led by Mr. Keith Kesten and Mrs. Megan Schweitzer, presented six performances of this year’s musical “Chicago” in two weekends. 

“Chicago” is set in the 1920s and tells the story of two women who are jailed for murder. One of the women, Velma, is serving time for murdering her husband and her sister. Velma is the star of the Cook County Jail until Roxie Hart is jailed for murdering the man she was cheating on her husband with. Velma and Roxie then both fight for fame. Roxie learns to “Razzle Dazzle” the jury, with the help of slick lawyer Billy Flynn while Velma, desperate for fame, goes to the “keeper of the keys” Matron Mama Morton. In the end, the two women come together for a final act. 

Filled with lots of dance and musical numbers as well as clever dialogue, Schweitzer praised the student performers for their commitment leading up to opening night on March 5th. 

“We are very fortunate to have a group of dedicated, and hardworking students,” Schweitzer said. “I think we have had some obstacles and challenges. We work together to find solutions and it was a really enjoyable process as collaboration.” 

Kesten and Schweitzer are proud of the play’s success this year and were happy with the support that came when asking for two weekends instead of just one weekend. 

“It is our first time in the history of Cinnaminson High School where we are doing six performances,” Schweitzer said. “We are very grateful that every time we went to Mr. Gorman and asked for something: two weekends, more performances, doing this show, school-wide blackout… he has been so supportive!” 

While this year’s cast consisted of students from all grade levels, for the seniors it was a bittersweet final performance. 

“I am going to miss so much about this,” senior Sam Magin, who plays Velma Kelly, said. “I love how I am able to reach an audience. I love hearing the applause. I love hearing afterwards saying how much they enjoyed it…I love every single piece about it. There’s nothing I am not going to miss!” 

Similarly, senior Morgan Hoban who plays Roxie Hart said she will miss being a part of the CHS drama club, but is also excited for what’s to come. 

“I have to say it feels really good finishing out,” Hoban said. “I am always excited to move on in my life and do new things, but at the same time it’s sad because this has been the past couple years of my life, and musicals have always been a big part of who I am and what I like to do. It being the last one is pretty sad.”

With 16 seniors graduating in June, it will be up to the underclassmen to ensure the show goes on! Magin shares some advice for her fellow castmates. 

“Showcase every single talent you have! Always, always be present on the stage because if you don’t, it’s going to be boring,” Magin said. “Everything comes together when everything looks good!”