Character Education Focus Returns to CHS

(Courtesy of Zoie Howard) The staircase leading up to “A” hallway displays the character traits.

Over 80 students were recognized last month on CHS TV for exhibiting “cooperation” as the trait for March’s Character Education Focus.   

After a brief hiatus, Cinnaminson High School’s Character Education initiative returned in March. The initiative is another way for teachers to recognize outstanding students. 

Each month celebrates a different character trait. March’s focus was “cooperation” while this month’s focus is on the character trait of “responsibility.” 

Vice Principal Dr. Kaitlin McCann said she hopes this initiative will highlight students representing CHS positively in academic environments, extracurriculars, and more.

“Mr. Gorman actually started it when he was the assistant principal before as a way to help showcase kids who were doing really great things,” McCann said.

Staff members are asked to nominate any student they believe exemplifies the month’s specific trait by emailing Ms. Michele Forbes.

Forbes explained the nomination process and how students are selected to be recognized.

“Teachers just have to email students who they have observed embodying the character pillar… whether it’s cooperating in class or cooperating in the cafeteria, or anywhere,” Forbes explained.

Sophomore Isabela De Carvalho was one of the students recognized last month for being cooperative.  

“It feels good – it’s always good to feel recognized,” De Carvalho said.

Nominations for students who demonstrate “responsibility” as April’s Character Education focus are being accepted until Tuesday, April 25.  

“Pride” will be the final Character Education focus of the school year for both May and June.