Boys’ Lacrosse Seniors Prepare for Next Season

Photo+courtesy+of+Lors+Photography.+

Photo courtesy of Lors Photography.

Ryan Elly

The Cinnaminson High School Boys’ Lacrosse team is off to a winning start. The team is currently 7-5 having won Wednesday night’s senior night with a 14-10 win over New Egypt. 

The team’s seniors explain they are focusing most importantly on shaping the younger class of athletes. Their collective goal is to make the lacrosse team bigger and better – not just through this season, but also looking toward the future.

“For this season we have a lot of graduating seniors on the team and there’s a lot of younger guys stepping up,” senior captain Matt Bundy said. “Despite us having a lot of seniors, we are a younger program with a new coach, and we set the bar high this season to try to win a first playoff game in Cinnaminson lacrosse history.” 

As one of the newest sports available at CHS, retired athletic trainer Mark Cherwoney and Environmental Science teacher Mr. Angelini worked to establish the boys lacrosse program that head coach Brad Campbell now oversees. 

Although the start of the season was challenging with Covid protocols and with a lot of players being involved with winter sports, Coach Campbell’s goals for the season are clear.

“Honestly just trying to get better every day,” Coach Campbell said. “…Creating a culture of lacrosse here at CHS, and just making the game of lacrosse more enjoyable and fun.”

Senior captain Conlan Holt’s goals for the season include being a good role model for his teammates.

“Some of the goals I’ve held myself to were to be a good leader for the younger kids in the program and show them the right takeaways of this sport,” Holt said. 

With there not being a season last year, and this season being different due to Covid protocols, senior captain Drew Schneeman explained how this season took a lot of getting used to. 

“I had to get to know a much different team of freshmen and sophomores that I didn’t know very well,” Schneeman said. 

With a month left of the school year, this is the last sport of each of the seniors’ high school careers. As the team is comprised of many seniors, next year’s season will feel the absence of these graduates as the program continues to grow.

“I enjoy being with the team, and experiencing nights like the senior night, as well as the big games against teams like Delran and RV,” Schneeman said of his takeaways and favorites parts of the game. 

Like many of the other spring sports teams’ schedules, the lacrosse season has been compressed. The boys have had multiple back-to-back games, as well as games only a few days apart; this tight schedule poses a challenge for the team, as they are trying to use practice time to develop the next generation of CHS lacrosse players.

“Throughout high school a large chunk of my best memories have come from experiences on the field with people that I consider my brothers. I feel as if the best part of playing this sport is the way that people can express themselves,” Bundy said. “Not every lacrosse player is a carbon-copy of another. Everyone has their own ways of dodging and shooting along with other things, which makes the sport very unique and rewarding when the stuff that you implement yourself works on the field.”

As the lacrosse team approaches the last stretch of their season, with three games left, they are continuing to focus on their goals and make the most out of their spring season. 

“Being an athlete definitely helps in high school by making new friends and joining a group. It also helps keep you on a schedule, which will make sure you are also doing better in the classroom as well as staying active,” Holt said. “My favorite aspect of lacrosse is the feeling of when either me or my teammates score a goal. Everyone just gets super excited and hyped up for each other and really pulls everyone together.”