Pride Day to Turn into Two-Day Festival Featuring Arts and “Pirate Pride Games”

Mrs. Llewellyn hits the dunk tank on Pride Day in 2012

Lynette Mariano, Staff Writer

After a 2010-2011 school year in which there were three total deaths of students and teachers, all by suicide, Cinnaminson High School administration responded by creating “Pride Day” for the students.  According to the April 2011 Ship’s Log, “To counteract that dismal feeling (from the school year), the administration began planning for Cinnaminson High School Pride Day – a day for students and teachers to have fun and remind everyone involved with CHS what its like to be a CHS Pirate.”

Since that day eight years ago, interest in Pride Day has dropped as students and teachers have rebounded from that difficult year.  In response to observing the gradual drop of student interest for Cinnaminson High School’s annual tradition of Pride Day, CHS Student Council and the CHS administration came together to plan to replace it with a two day event called “The Pirate Pride Showcase” and “The Pirate Pride Games,” which will be held at the end of May.

The first event that is planned to be held in the evening is the “Pirate Pride Showcase,” that will contain art and photo contests, cooking contests, singing and talent showcases, trivia games, and so on. Somewhat similar to Spirit Week, the second event on the following school day involves a contest between teams in the gym, but with completely new games separate from the pep rally. The student body will be divided into two teams, Red team and Black team, based on the first letter of a student’s last name. The supervisors will also reward specific students of either team who attend other school functions such as the musical, choir or band performances, athletic contests, or participate in school fundraisers.

“The goal of the games is to provide more students with an opportunity to showcase their talents and get involved in school activities. We wanted it be about more than just athletics, we want to celebrate the talents and interests of the entire student body,” states teacher, Mr. Perekupka.

Despite the well-intentioned change of plans, there are mixed reactions from students. From few responses, it seems that students prefer the individual freedom of Pride Day to do whatever they would like, rather than taking part in it as a team, while others are indifferent.  In fact, one senior blasts the school about their participation

“I’d rather have regular Pride Day,” senior, Shannon McIlhenny, says. “Stop pretending like you care about art kids.”

“The only good thing about it is that it’s two days,” adds senior student, Taylor Fest.

Senior Mariah Matthews says, “I think the reason that people lost interest in Pride Day and changing it is dumb because this year, making it a two-day event makes people lose interest just because they don’t want to do anything.”

However, those in charge of the event still hope to create a positive shift in the school community.

“The class advisors, student council advisors, and administration will be working with the staff and students to hopefully make this new event a tremendous success and an ongoing new tradition at CHS,” says Mr. Perekupka.