Seven Spring Sports Teams Head into Respective Sectional Tournaments Starting This Week

courtesy of the Buccaneer

Senior Jake Perkins hammers a ball in action last year versus Pemberton.

From Staff Reports

Cinnaminson High School has a big week ahead during this week with some teams continuing their chase for sectional and state championship crowns while other teams are just getting ready to get started on that road.

Girls’ Lacrosse – On Monday, the girls opened as the seventh seed in the Central Jersey, Group 2 playoffs against 10th-seeded Robbinsville.  The girls turns a 5-4 halftime deficit into a 14-10 victory behind five goals from junior Caroline Bailey and sophomore Grace Frasso.  Bailey also scored her 100th goal of her career during the game for the Pirates.  Sophomore Molly Barkley added two goals and seniors Hope Addlesberger and Roxanne Wesley added single tallies to boost the Pirates.  Sophomore Julia Charest had 17 saves for the Pirates in the victory.

The 10-5 girls will go on to face 14-4 Manasquan in Thursday’s playoff second round matchup at the second-seeded Warriors. The girls will travel 90 minutes northwest to face their opponents on Thursday.  The win against Robbinsville was just the fourth playoff victory for the Pirates in the last eight years.  The Pirates last played Manasquan in 2012 and finished on the wrong end of a 17-5 loss to the Shore Conference foe at that time.

Cinnaminson will be looking for its third win of the month of May after it started the season 8-1.

Boys’ Lacrosse – The boys will go on the road tomorrow to Shore Regional to chase the program’s first playoff victory.  The boys have had a topsy-turvey season that started with a solid 4-2 record going into Senior Trip/PARCC testing week.  After the break, the boys alternated wins and losses until the team caught a little fire recently to win three of their last four to end the season 10-6 and position themselves in a playoff game against the 15-3 Blue Devils.  Shore has been tabbed by NJ.com as one of the six “contenders” for the sectional title after a strong regular season.

The Pirates posted their second consecutive winning season this year and will put that record to the test tomorrow after a 90-minute northwest commute past Asbury Park to take on the Blue Devils.

Softball – The fifth-seeded girls will welcome a familiar foe when they host the 12th-seeded Point Pleasant Boro Panthers in the first round of the South Jersey Group 2 playoffs on Thursday.  Last season, the Pirates defeated the Panthers in the second round of the playoffs, 3-2.  The Pirates bowed out one round later in a tough 1-0 loss to Cedar Creek, who loom as a possible second-round matchup for the girls before a possible semifinal with top-seeded Sterling.

The girls have had a very solid season, standing at 14-8 heading into today’s final regular season game against 14-7 Maple Shade.   The team is 4-4 in a very tough Patriot conference, losing twice to Group 3 schools Burlington Township and Westhampton Tech, but sweeping Pemberton and Delran.  The offense for the team is provided by senior Brenna Macnair, juniors Candace Delio, Maddie Fiegel, and sophomore Riece Onorato.  Senior Rebecca Martino and Onorato have handled the majority of the pitching for the Pirates this season.

This is the second very strong season in a row for coach Tracy Bart who will return a strong core to contend again next season when the Pirates season comes to an end.

Baseball – The CHS boys’ baseball team had perhaps the most topsy-turvy season out of any of the CHS teams during the entire 2017-2018 year.  After starting the season 5-4, the boys lost seven consecutive games in late April and early May before going on a little run to win four of five games to enter today’s game against Holy Cross 9-12.  The boys will play the Lancers today and Thursday before hosting Manasquan next week in an eight versus ninth-seeded game in the South Jersey Group 2 playoffs.

The Pirates have a lot of experience returning from last season when the boys lost in the sectional semifinals to West Deptford, 11-5.  The Pirates actually were leading 5-3 against the Eagles before giving up the lead in that game.  This season the Pirates will have to get through the 8-11 Manasquan Warriors before they have a chance again at West Deptford, who will be the top seed in Group 2.

Seniors Jake Perkins, Mike Graff and Nick Sullivan will have to lead the Pirates with their bats while senior Justin Dever, Matt Stavalone and junior Drew Colfer will have to lead the Pirates with their arms for the Pirates to succeed starting in the playoffs next Monday.

Boys’ Volleyball – The Cinnaminson boys’ volleyball team will head into the playoffs as the eighth seed next Tuesday when it hosts the ninth seed of Moorestown.  Cinnaminson has already faced the Quakers three times this season, defeating them once on April 12, 2-1, but has recently lost 2-0 to them last Monday and 2-0 to them yesterday.  The boys will enter the playoffs with a solid record of 16-12 after having won 11 of their 16 contests since Wednesday, April 25.

Seniors Goni McGuckin and Brad Challender have been do-it-alls for the Pirates this season with McGuckin leading the team in service aces and kills and Challender not far behind in either category.  After this season, the Pirates are going to have to replace nine seniors from this current crop of players, which is a daunting task for any team, let alone one that is looking to win 17 games for the third consecutive season.

Boys’ and Girls’ Track – The track teams will finish up their dual match season undefeated today against over-matched Holy Cross to both end the season 5-0 and claim the Patriot Division titles.  The teams will next compete at the Burlington County Championships on Saturday where it will put itself against the Indian schools in an attempt to win a county title that has only been done once against the larger schools in the history of Cinnaminson High School, either boys or girls.

From there, the teams will start their march toward the Meet of Champions Memorial Day weekend with the sectional championships at Delsea on Friday and Saturday, May 25 and 26.  The top six placewinners in each even will be entered the following weekend when the teams will travel to Bayville, NJ to compete at the Group 2 State Championships at Central Regional High School on June 1 and 2 before the top seeds in the state compete at the NJSIAA Meet of Champions at Northern Burlington Regional High School.

Senior Kamron Kobolak will attempt to follow up his state championship from last year and record-setting season this year along with sophomores Austin Gabay and Meredith Updike who will look to stamp their names among the best in the state at the Meet of Champions.

Boys’ Tennis – The only team whose season is concluded thus far is the boys tennis team whose Pirates were bounced in the first round of the Central Jersey Group 1 playoffs by fourth-seeded South River, 4-1 last Thursday.  Senior Ronnie Runquist continued his outstanding senior season by winning first singles against South River, the only victory of the match for the Pirates. Runquist only lost one match during a 12-1 match record for the 3-13 Pirates team season in a 5-0 defeat to Moorestown.

The boys came back to win their third match of the season on Monday to close their season with a 3-2 defeat of Pemberton.  Runquist, Freshman Dan Terifay and sophomore Vincent Gallo contributed victories in second and third singles,  respectively, to pace the Pirates during the victory.

Cinnaminson ended the season 3-13 overall, but will only lose Runquist to graduation next year and should welcome back a young and hungry squad that took a lot of lumps during this season.