Drama Performs Amazing Rendition of Les Miserables for CHS Spring Musical

Eileen Yizzi -played the role of Fantine in Les Miserables

Sara Mayberberg, Staff Writer

The Cinnaminson High School Drama Club presented the school version of “Les Misérables” over the weekend of March 23-25, 2018  and it was absolutely tremendous.  Some have even called it the best production in the history of Cinnaminson High School.

The actors chosen for the lead parts could not have been better, as they executed the roles with precision. The night that I attended the leads were Jack Rooney (Jean Valjean), Nick Hite (Javert), Eileen Yizzi (Fantine), Nick McGovern (Marius Pontmercy), Isabel Bramhall (Éponine), Maggie Harbord (Cosette), Sean Bove (Monsieur Thénardier) and Kasey Kaufmann (Madass). The decision changes their lives forever.

The premise of the musical is that in 19th-century France, Jean Valjean, who for decades has been hunted by the ruthless policeman Javert after breaking parole, agrees to care for a factory worker’s daughter who has passed away.  The decision changes their lives forever because of all the violence that they are exposed to during the fighting..

The standout actress in the musical was Junior Eileen Yizze in her role as Fantine. Her performance was mesmerizing, and her singing was phenomenal. I was in awe of her dying scene as it was filled with so much raw emotion.

Junior Jack Rooney took the spotlight as Jean Valjean, as he matched the aesthetics of the role with his acting and singing. Every scene between Jack and fellow Junior Nick Hite was taunting and entertaining to the fullest extent.

While every scene in the show had the audience on their toes, I think the song “A Heart Full of Love” with Freshman Nick McGovern, Junior Maggie Harbord, and Junior Isabel Bramhall. The love triangle was a very emotional, raw scene. It pulled at the audience’s heart strings, including mine.

The most memorable scenes of the play, I’d have to say, have to have been those with the innkeepers, Sean Bove, and Kasey Kauffmann. Their humor balanced out the emotional aspects of the play, and the production definitely would not be the same without their wittiness.

The only complaint I have, if you can call it that, is the overacting. But I interpret the overacting as caring too much about the performance, and by far that it is much better than underacting.

But overall the production was beautiful, heartfelt, as well as humorous, and I’m pleased to have gone and had the pleasure to see such an amazing performance on my last year at the high school.