Girls’ Basketball Team Starts Season 9-2 and With a Firm Grip on Patriot Division Lead

Photo Courtesy of The Buccaneer

Senior Fiona Flynn steadies herself on defense against Moorestown two years ago.

Craig Turner, Staff Writer

Coming off a 20-win season last year, the girl’s basketball team looked poised for a solid season with a number of starters returning for the season. But they have a lot to look forward to with Fiona Flynn returning for her senior year. Fiona led the team is scoring last year and was a key piece of their success.

When asked about Fiona this is what Coach Brett Jenkins had to say, “I’d like to see her take a really big leadership role, on the court and off the court.”

They are coming off of a season with a record of 20-8. The team had a lot of returning talent with junior forward Maddie Ogden (averaging 12 points per game thus far), and at guard, junior Maddie Parrish (averaging four points per game) who gives Cinnaminson a three-point threat. Sophomore Kayla Caban, who transferred from  VI High School, will also be a big part of the team’s success this year with her shooting ability (leads team with 14 three-pointers).

When coach Jenkins was asked about the team’s expectations this is what he had to say, “ I think we should have a very nice year, we have a lot of experience coming back, I think we should be competitive in every single game.”

Coach Jenkins also wanted to make sure his team was more than prepared for the playoffs this year. While prepping for the season he was sure to make there schedule a lot harder this year than last year to help improve throughout the season and be prepared for the postseason. With a lot of returning players this year, the pirates hope to go deep into the playoffs and have positioned themselves to do so as they have started the year 9-2 and 4-0 within their own division.

The Pirates have already defeated each of their division foes and easily outdistanced last year’s division champion, Delran by 20 points when they played on January 11.  Coach Jenkins has filled this schedule with tough opponents by having Cherokee (ranked ninth in all of NJ) and Haddonfield (ranked sixth in Group 2 in NJ) as opponents for the Pirates.  Cinnaminson will host Haddonfield on Friday night at 5:15 and follow that up with Holy Cross on Saturday at 1 p.m. before three more Burlington County opponents before the state playoff cutoff next Saturday.

The South Jersey Group 2 playoffs will start on February 27 and the Pirates will hope to fall on the other side of the bracket from Manchester Township, who is currently the 12th-ranked team in the state and has already defeated 13th-ranked Rumson Fair Haven last week, 59-50.

Also, of note is the fact that Fiona Flynn is closing in on 1,000 points. Currently, Flynn has scored 956 points in her career and if her 15 points per game average holds true, she could score her 1,000th point next Tuesday at Pemberton or next Thursday at home versus Willingboro.