Boy’s Track and Field and Boy’s Bowling Teams Win Sectional Championships

The Cinnaminson Boy’s Track team is all smiles after winning the South Jersey Group 2 Sectional Championship

George Rider, Sports Editor

This season the Cinnaminson track team accomplished a feat that no other team had ever achieved at CHS when it won the 2017 Boy’s Group 2 Sectional Championship.  Haddonfield won five events to Cinnaminson’s two at sectionals, but the boys captured many second and third place finishes to share the crown with Haddonfield, who also scored 65 points.  Senior Mike Ungvarsky placed in three events (800, 1600 and 3200), senior Christian Neuman won the pole vault and junior Kamron Kobolak won the shot put to help lead the charge for the Pirates.  However, it was the contribution of senior Patrick Bearint, who scored in the pole vault and tied sophomore teammate Rashad Raymond for second in the high jump at 5’10” to lead the Pirates to the crown.

One of the big contributors was Senior Mateus Medeiros, who placed third in the shot put and was very proud of the boy’s accomplishment.

“We had a very good team, we were very strong”, Mateus said, “and we did win the Sectional title so that felt very good.”

Winning sectionals is a big deal but this being the first time in school history it makes it even more special, especially considering that the team tied the eventual Group 2 state champions and won the title against some of the best teams in the state every year, such as Delsea and Deptford and crushed other strong teams in Camden and Pleasantville.

The Cinnaminson Boy’s Bowling team also won Sectionals for the school this season. They won last season too giving them back-to-back Sectional titles for CHS. The varsity team had a successful group of boys for the year as there 14-2 record shows. Senior Sean Harris was on the team for both Sectional Championships and even qualified this year as an individual bowler for the state championships, along with the team qualifying as well.

“This year we wanted to win another sectional title and had a feeling we would again, Harris said, “but this time the goal of the season was to win states we just came up short. But we did win the division this season which is something we haven’t done in my high school career.”

Winning a division and sectional title while going 14-2 is a really good season overlook. Junior Ronnie Runquist was also on the team for both section titles.

“We had great success this season, we went back to states and won sectionals which we did last season so we achieved the same as last season. It also felt good to beat Maple Shade and Delran to take the division.”