Winter Track Teams Looking to Make Run at Sectional and State Championships

Andrea Benites will be running for Rider University beginning this fall.

Marissa Porrini, Staff Writer

The Cinnaminson High School Winter Track Teams began the season with a great start. The coaches and teammates have put in a good deal of effort and are looking toward a productive outdoor season, but are going to make a run at sectional and state championships before the spring arrives.

Head Coach, Charlie Kind, is very confident in the CHS teams this season.

“Every year you want your team to do well in the state and sectional finals,” Kind continued, “and we have very talented teams and a lot of top performers. We will have a chance, hopefully, at New Jersey Sectional and State championships for the boys, with the overall goal to do our best at these competitions and let the chips fall where they may.”

Michael Ungvarsky, 2016 Group 2 Cross Country State Champion and Group 2 3200-meter champion from last spring, is part of this year’s talented team.

“I’m really excited, we have a good team this year and we are hoping to win Sectionals. I think we have the team to win it. For me, I would love to win Meet of Champs and States,” Mike said.

Ungvarsky will face stiff competition from his outdoor nemesis, sophomore Devin Hart from Point Pleasant Boro, who beat Mike at the sectional championships in cross country and will team with sophomore Derek Gess from Haddonfield to challenge Mike for supremacy in both the 1600 and 3200-meter events.

Mike won’t be alone in his superiority this season as he will have some seasoned members of the team standing with him among the best in the sectional and state.  Senior Christian Neuman will challenge for a sectional title in the pole vault and will be assisted by senior Pat Bearint, who both return after strong spring seasons.  Neuman has already set a personal best of 13′ in a USATF meet this past Sunday.

Junior Kamron Kobolak will be one of the top shot putters in the state after finishing second outdoors last year at sectionals.  Senior Frank Stepnowski has also made great strides in the event and should be a top performer there as well.  Both threw very well in the beginning portion of the season and are ranked in the top three of our section.

Sophomore Rashad Raymond is a top returner in the high jump and Bearint will also challenge Raymond for sectional supremacy in the events.  Senior jumps specialist Steve Liu will help with depth in the 400 and juniors Max Adams and Justin Arnold will provide great depth in the distance events.

The team will welcome perennial outdoor Group 2 top team Haddonfield to indoor Group 2, where they will battle for a sectional championship with Delsea, Deptford, West Deptford and Camden.  The boys have some of the top talent in South Jersey, but will have some great teams to overcome to even consider a championship.

For the girls, senior thrower Prisca Blamon and pole vaulter Taylor Clark return to the team to lead the girls against some of the toughest competition in South Jersey.  Both rank among the top in the sections in their respective events with Prisca in the shot put and Taylor in the pole vault.

Newcomers to the team but not to the sport are juniors Haley Adams and Madison Edwards, two outstanding performers from the cross country team.  Both will team with returning runner Ashley Rafferty and newcomer Kayla Decker to create a formidable foursome in the distance events.

Once senior Andrea Benites returns this weekend she will add depth and a veteran presence to the team after three years as one of the team’s most outstanding members.

Overall, the teams will see where they stand in the state this weekend at the Group 2 New Jersey state relays on January 22, but will run for glory on Friday, February 10 when the South Jersey Group 2 sectionals occur.