After Dominating Daily Class Events, Seniors Seem Poised to Claim Spirit Stick

Seniors Tamiya Williams and Andrea Benites lead senior class into pep rally

Emma Passey, Editor-in-Chief

The long-awaited 2016 CHS Spirit Week began with a bang on Monday, October 3 with the first theme day, Superhero/Villain day. Students had to dress up as either superheroes or villains in order to gain points for their respective classes.

Marvel and DC comic outfits were plentiful on this day.  Once it was all do, the seniors came in first place, followed by the sophomore class, and then the juniors and freshmen classes came in third and fourth place, respectively.

Other spirit week days included Tacky Tourist Tuesday, Circle of Life Day (in which students dressed up as either babies or senior citizens), Theme Day, and Class Color Day. Seniors won each day, but came in second for hall decoration to the junior class.

The theme for this year’s spirit week was “CHS Has Rhythm”, and each class picked a specific music genre. Seniors got the first pick and chose Hip Hop, juniors chose Rock, sophomores chose Country, and the freshmen picked the Oldies.

Friday was Class Color day and the long-awaited Pep Rally, in which grades prepared all week to compete in a variety of events during the afternoon in the new gym.  The seniors started out strong with a victory in the tug-of-war.  The juniors had the early lead against the seniors during the championship tug, but the seniors held strong and won after a back-and-forth affair.  However, the juniors came back strong in the teacher “Spirit Chairs” where Mr. Jenkins and Ms. Lewis made it to the final three only to be outmaneuvered by Mr. Lombardo and a victory for the sophomore class.

The sophomores stayed hot by winning the next event, the Cannon Ball Popping.  This event and the previous event also found the seniors pulling up the rear in last place.  But the seniors roared back by winning the Cinnaminson Derby, where the big wheels and horse heads were used to race by the contestants.

The seniors went on to place second in two of the next three events and win the limbo, but the juniors won two of the next three events as well.  When it was all said and done, the juniors and sophomores had tied for the pep rally events with the seniors a close third.

When the pep rally ended, both students and teachers were impressed by the new gym and the acoustics of the whole event.

Sophomore Elena Keck enjoyed having the pep rally in the new gym, saying that it “was louder and sounded better, which added to the atmosphere”.

Social Studies teacher and coach, Mr. Campbell, had similar sentiments about the gym when he said “it was a cool experience to see the entire school body in the new gym for the first time.  Hopefully the gym will continue to be filled for some of the upcoming sporting events,” he finished.

The evening was also a success for the Pirates when the football team extended their run of domination by shutting out Robbinsville, 38-0.  The Pirates only held an 8-0 halftime lead, but senior Shaun Davilla added two scores and  sophomore Rashad Raymond and junior Kevin Shoch each added touchdowns to silence the Ravens and move the Pirates to 5-0 for the season and 3-0 in the Liberty division.  Cinnaminson has been so dominant within their division that they have not given up a point while scoring 87 of their own.

The highlight of the evening for the students was the crowning of the Homecoming King and Queen.  Seniors Jack Conville and Andrea Benites were crowned as King and Queen for 2016.  Following them, the 1991 football state champions were honored and introduced to the crowd and had a reunion on the field.