New Teacher Feature – Ray Bonnette, Math Department

Marissa Porrini

Ray Bonnette has moved from CMS to CHS to join the Math Department here.

From Staff Reports

This year, the Ship’s Log will be running a brief feature on all new teachers and educational staff.  We have tried to pare down the information about the staff member and are including all the pertinent information about that staff member that he/she has shared with us.

*Name – Ray Bonnette

*Subject Taught Math – Algebra 1, Geometry

*Grades Taught – 9 and 10

*College Alma Mater(s) – La Salle University; Presently in a Masters program at Wilmington University

What is your background and experience in education prior to coming to CHS?

I went Alternate Route certification in Math after I got my first job at Holy Cross High School (now Academy) right out of college.  Originally a TV/Radio Mass Communication Major, the Assistant Principal at Holy Cross at the time thought I could be good at teaching, so he called me in for a long-term sub interview. I stayed at Holy Cross for nine years, then I was at Pennsauken High School for three years.  After a district restructuring in the Math Department, I started looking for other positions where I was then hired at CMS. Last year, I asked to be considered for one of the openings in the Math Department and was transferred to CHS. 14 years later, I am doing what I enjoy and have left TV aspirations behind.

What made you come to CHS?

Many different reasons factored into my interest to come to the high school, but I really enjoyed my brief stint at our Middle School.  It was a very tough decision to make, but am happy that I was accepted here.

What do you have to offer to the students of CHS?

I feel that I can give the students a smiling face pretty much every day, be someone who likes to get involved in the school and help answer questions for what some would call a challenging subject of math.  I tend to try to think how I can make math more of an experience instead of specific skills, so I am looking to try to infuse that as well as newer technology into my lessons.

What drove you to become a teacher?

Back in 8th Grade, I remember an assignment I had where I said I wanted to teach math in a high school and coach basketball.  My interest went from Psychology to TV Broadcasting in High School, but then graduating college with a communication degree, having a possible lead in the realm of production, but choosing to give teaching a shot was the jump start I needed to get me back to my original thought. 

Outside of teaching what are your interests?

I really love to travel, but haven’t been able to as much since having children (my wife and I have 2 kids – 4 and 2 yrs old). We have this thing about going to baseball stadiums throughout the country where I only have nine left out of 30 to go visit.  I enjoy playing, watching and coaching basketball; however, due to some injuries I am not supposed to play anymore.  I enjoy cooking and making new soups during the fall which has been a little hobby over the past four years. Lastly, my family sparks a huge interest for me.  I enjoy family time that we get to share as a group, hang out together and watch my family grow together.

Is there anything else about you that we should know?

There are many things that I could talk about and can if people would like to listen. A few random things about me – I’ve trained for a Marathon but got hurt a month before the race, ran a half-marathon; I’m the oldest of four; I have an eidetic memory in many cases; I am not a huge fan of sand so I am not a huge fan of the beach, but I am getting better; I’m not allergic to anything (that I’m aware of); and I don’t drink coffee… never have.