CHS Swim Team Wins Two Playoff Rounds for First Post-Season Wins Ever

Junior Ryan Kay takes a breath of air as he continues to swim his race.

Andrew Sandeen, Staff Writer

The Cinnaminson High School co-ed swim team swam in the second round of the playoffs on Thursday February 4, 2016 against the Jackson Memorial High School boys swim team. This was the Pirates first appearance in the second round of the playoffs since 1999. The Pirates were not at all intimidated by their inexperience in the postseason however, as they performed well as a team throughout the meet, coming away with a 102-68 victory.

Head swim coach Jon Schroeder was very pleased with his team’s performance, “We performed well. We made a huge statement. They will forever remember the Pirates. We dominated that meet emotionally, and physically.  We thrived under the pressure. And when we knew it we ratcheted up the pressure even more. Everyone [on the other team] looked slightly intimidated. They had never seen that intensity before. It sure appeared as if they didn’t quite know what to do.”

With the intensity that Schroder brings to the team at meets and practices, the team has definitely grown stronger.

The Pirates were anchored by double wins by senior Brian Finnan in the 100 butterfly and 100 breaststroke and Ben Kern in the 50 freestyle and 100 freestyle. Lily Black also won the 200 freestyle and set a school record in the 500 free with a winning time of 5:09.89.

“We had a great meet (against Jackson) and hopefully we can carry this momentum over to the next round,” said junior Ryan Kay, who won the 100 backstroke for the Pirates.

Not only was it the first playoff appearance for Cinnaminson since 1999, it was the first-ever win that the Pirates had when they won their first round meet versus Brick Memorial, 95-75.  However, Cinnaminson not only won that match, but it also won the next round against Jackson Memorial.  Appearing in the sectional semifinals was a great honor for the Pirates, but Coach Schroeder saw that it was the passion within this year’s team that drove them.

“This team is similar to any of the very competitive teams I’ve ever had. [They have the] same similarities; desire, cohesiveness, competitiveness, depth, a belief in themselves and our identity. But we do have an “it” factor. You saw it at the meet vs Jackson. We had that “aura” around us [that] evening. We came to swim well, and swim well we did.  That was fun,” Schroeder said.

The team looked forward to its sectional round match up against an extremely talented and undefeated West Windsor Plainsboro South swim team.

“This has been a great year for our team so far but we aren’t finished yet. We have to keep working hard for our next meet,” said junior Avery Mancine.

While it will be a tall task for the Pirates against them, coach Schroeder and his team haven’t given up hope.

“The Giants beat the undefeated Patriots. Buster Douglas knocked out Mike Tyson. “If you have a lane you have a chance” Why not us? Why not now?”

Unfortunately that chance did not give the Pirates a victory against West Windsor, with the box score reading a 112-58 final for West Windsor Plainsboro South.

The Pirates ended their season with a 10-5 record. Although the run for the Pirates swim team has come to an end, the progress made this year will carry over for future seasons.