Second Annual CHS Coffeehouse Brings Some Emotional Performances

(Pictured from left to right) Ms. Knisley, Cj Cunnane, Kieth Swartley, and Mr. McGenagan perform together.

Gabriella Brown, Staff Writer

On Friday, November 20th, the second annual Coffeehouse took place at Cinnaminson High School. The stage was open to students, teachers, and alumni who wished to express themselves through poetry and music. Many took the stage sharing poems, playing instruments, and singing songs to the audience. Baked goods and coffee were also served to all who attended.

For some, like freshman Caroline Piotrowski, it was their first time performing. Caroline performed a monologue from “Rent,” and described her experience as, “kind of nerve wracking,” but she continued to say that the group of people attending made her feel more comfortable.

Performing in front of a group is always a nerve wracking event. As veteran coffee house performer junior Callie Gallagher admits, “There’s always that sense of nervousness, but it was so much fun.”

Current students were not the only ones to take the stage, as alumni and teachers even lined up to perform. Former student, Briana Rodriguez gave an emotional performance reading the poem, “Pretty Girl.”

Ms. Kinsely, a teacher in the music department, performed several times throughout the night ranging in instruments from the flute to guitar. Her student teacher, Mr. McGenagen, also performed, wowing the crowd with a flamenco piece played on his guitar.

The audience present showed a great amount of support and enthusiasm cheering on each and every performer. Junior Kearsten Smith, and audience member, admitted that the performances all made her cry a little and she definitely laughed a lot, but she emphasized that, “Everyone was really talented and positive and I just loved it.” There certainly was nothing but positive feedback from the audience.

In an interview after the Coffeehouse, Ms. O’Hearn, leader of the Amaranth Club, expressed, “I think it was a great success. I really liked that there were a lot of students here. [There were also] a lot of supporters, former students, poets, and musicians… so it was a nice mix. I think it was overall a great night.”

Her statement was one that almost every audience member also experienced. Everyone seemed to thoroughly enjoy the performances and the out pour of support towards each performer truly was heartwarming. With all the positive feedback from this year, it can be expected that the Coffeehouse tradition will continue on.