Boy’s Showdown Friday – Soccer and Football Teams Enter Into Pivotal Playoff Battles

From Staff Reports and Michael Zelinka

Tomorrow will be a big sports day at Cinnaminson High School.

On Friday afternoon, November 13, at 2 p.m., the boy’s soccer team will be hosting the Group 2 South Jersey Sectional Championship game against cross-town rival Delran.  That will be followed by an hour-long bus trip to Atlantic County for the football team when they travel to Buena High School for the football team’s first-round battle with Buena High School.

Junior Goalie Mike Deal saves a ball in pre-game warm-ups earlier in the season
Photo courtesy of The Buccaneer

At 2 p.m., the boys face off with their conference and local rival, Delran, for the right to claim the Group 2 South Jersey Sectional Championship.  Delran has a storied history in boy’s soccer, either winning or sharing five state titles in boy’s soccer under their current coach, Mike Otto, in the last 12 years – 2003, 2004, 2008, 2009 and 2013.  In total, Delran has eight state titles to their credit.  The 2004 and 2008 CHS teams were both eliminated by Delran during sectional play.

Tomorrow’s game will be a big test for CHS and to prove the great lengths they have come under coach Jason Meile.  In his fourth year as coach, Mr. Meile has brought the boys to their third sectional championship under his reign, winning the SJ title in 2014 before losing to Hackettstown in the state championship, 3-1.  The boys will be looking to channel some of their 2007 magic when the team, under former head coach Bill Dent, eliminated Delran from the playoffs in the South Jersey Group 2 sectional championship before finishing the season as state runners-up.  In their history, the Pirates soccer program has shared one state title, in 1991 with Harrison High School.

The Boy's Soccer Team poses for a photo before a game this season
Photo courtesy of The Buccaneer
The Boy’s Soccer Team poses for a photo before a game this season

The tale of the tape for this year’s teams finds two teams who have been very successful with their individual, but grueling, schedules.  The Pirates, seeded seventh in South Jersey Group 2, will enter with an 11-7-2 record for the season and the Bears, seeded eighth, will enter at 12-6-4.  Both teams have played very difficult schedules against much larger schools with CHS scoring victories over Moorestown, Pennsauken (2) and Hightstown while Delran has scored victories over Northern Burlington (2), Pennsauken (2) and Moorestown.  In fact, the only team each has lost to that was equal or smaller to them was each other with CHS defeating Delran 3-2 on Sept. 24 and Delran returning the favor, 1-0, on October 20.  After some early-season struggles in goal, Delran has not given up a goal in the playoffs while junior keeper Mike Deal has provided two straight shutouts for CHS in the playoffs.

It is going to be a tight, physical battle between two teams who are very familiar with one another and very similar.  Coach Meile looks forward to the opportunity.

“My expectations is for the team to be not only physically prepared, but mentally prepared,” Coach Meile continued,  “I think it is a situation where if anybody asked us at the beginning of the season if we want to be in (the sectional championship against Delran), we all would have said yes, 100%; we’re happy to be here.  But, we also want to compete at our highest level tomorrow.”

The football team will enter their playoff game tomorrow night riding high after throttling previously undefeated Pemberton last week, 45-34.  The Pirates held a 28-12 halftime lead over the Hornets and Pemberton closed the gap to 31-26 in a bad third quarter for the Pirates before Cinnaminson completely pulled away from Pemberton for a 45-26 fourth quarter lead before a final, meaningless touchdown gave the Hornets their final points.

It was a victory that saw junior quarterback completely dominate the Pemberton defense, running for 143 yards and two touchdowns and throwing for two other touchdowns.  Senior wide receiver Devon Taylor had another touchdown reception in the game, a one-handed wonder, and two interceptions to lead the Pirates.  Junior Frank Stepnowski has a touchdown reception and run to help lead the Cinnaminson offense.

Junior Shaun Davilla fakes the handoff to freshman Rashod Raymond in the Oct. 30 game against Burlington City
Photo Courtesy of The Buccaneer

The victory should give the Pirates a great boost of energy heading into their playoff contest at Buena on Friday night.  The Chiefs enter the game at 8-1 on the season, having only lost to Cedar Creek in a week two game, 34-13.  The Pirates only loss was a week five stunner where Cinnaminson lost a 28-point halftime lead to rival Holy Cross in a 34-33 loss.  Those lone two blemishes are the only dimming spots on each team’s stellar seasons.

Buena will enter the game averaging 29.8 points per game and only giving up 14.7 on defense, while Cinnaminson will enter the game averaging 34.4 point per game and only giving up 15.1 on defense.  However, the Cinnaminson offense has found its groove as of late as the Pirates have averaged 43 points per game in their last four contests.

It is going to be an offensive showcase on Friday night in Buena against two teams who look even but bring big weapons to score big points.  Both teams have won one sectional/state title in their history, but Cinnaminson’s was in 1991 while Buena’s was in 1988.

Junior receiver Frank Stepnowski breaks away from a Burlington City defender in the Oct. 30 game for the Pirates
Photo Courtesy of The Buccaneer

Coach Mario Patrizi is looking forward to the challenge for the Pirates.

“I expect us to continue what we’re doing and we’re playing great with a big win over Pemberton last week.  Hopefully that continues into the playoffs,” Patrizi continued, “But, anyone who makes the playoffs in football is a very good team.”

Certainly, the adrenaline will be running high for the remaining boy’s playoff teams at Cinnaminson High School tomorrow.