Girl’s Tennis Team Wins Final Five Matches to Finish Season with 12-7 Mark

Senior Jenna Cucinotta returns a shot during a match this year.

George Rider, Staff Writer

The girl’s tennis team has had an impressive season this year, compiling a 12-7 overall record and reaching the second round of the South Sectional playoffs.

The team started off the season on a very high note as they won their first two matches 5-0 beating Trenton Catholic and Burlington City. Unfortunately, they dropped the next two, losing to two great teams, Holy Cross and Moorestown. Coach Matt Perekupka, however still had high expectations for the rest of the season, “I believe we have five winnable matches left and could definitely finish at a record of 12-7,”says Coach Perekupka. The girls bettered last year’s team record of 10-7.

After this season, the CHS girl’s tennis team will lose two seniors. First singles senior Jenna Cucinotta has been a huge contributor to the team this season. She has a winning record of 10-5 and is a leader to the team. Fellow senior Lauren Gallo is also a part of the varsity team at the first doubles position. She and her partner freshman Emma Trzaska have a current record of 3-6.

In the playoffs the team made it past the first round, crushing Barnegat 5-0. The whole team played extraordinary and moved on to the second round. Sadly they couldn’t pull off a win at Delsea but it was a close match all the way through as the final score was a 3-2 loss. Junior second singles Tori Robinson said it was the best accomplishment of the season. As she described, “Winning the first round playoffs and almost winning the second was a great accomplishment for us. It showed us we had a lot in us to keep going.”

The girls couldn’t win the division statistically because of their two losses to Holy Cross but they can still ended the season with an impressive record.

Coach Perekupka loves the way they’re ending the season. “I think we are playing our best tennis at the end of the season. It’s unfortunate we couldn’t get another shot at Holy Cross and win the division but I’m very happy with the way we were playing.”

The girls had a very great season even without having the division title. They played hard and never gave up and it shows. They hope to have just as much fight in them as the underclassmen get a shot at varsity positions next season.