CHS Says Farewell to the Class of 2015

Michael Zelinka, Editor-in-Chief

On Thursday June 18, 170 Cinnaminson High School students graduated from the public school system.

The worries about the weather, parking, and the usual pre-graduation jitters all disappeared as the graduation fanfare began to play and the soon-to-be graduates, began their walk.

“The ceremony was absolutely fantastic,” senior Gabriella Wright said,”the speeches were spot on, they gave me the chills and just made me more excited to graduate.”

The ceremony highlighted many assets the senior class brought to CHS. It was reflective of what the class had done as a whole, and also what individual seniors had done that was worthy of recognition.

2015 Class President Sydney Zarilli focused on the memories the school gave her, no matter how great or gross (referring to the infamous CHS cockroaches) they were. The speeches were not generic, and all focused on non-materialistic aspects of High School; such as friendships and high school football games.

Valedictorian Erin Yizzi began her speech to the class by discussing a birds nest she found in her garage one day. What started out as a pile of twigs and eggs, soon became a home and a family. One by one the birds began to leave their nest and venture into the outside world. This struck close to Yizzi, as she explained the similarity of the baby birds leaving the nest, and the class of 2015’s graduation of high school.

“I was glad that I didn’t mess up and I think it went well,” Yizzi said about her speech. “I am pretty excited because I graduated and I’m glad it didn’t rain.”

The speeches also gave thanks to the parents of the students, as nothing would be possible without their support.

As always, the ceremony ended with the exchange of the gavel to the next graduating class. Following the organized ceremony came the exhilarated tossing of the caps, and the intermingling of students, staff, and parents. There was even a “celebrity” present: Mr. Morris Burton.

“This class was the one I took my medical leave on, and I made a promise I would come back.” said Burton, as he kept his promise to the class.

Many tears were shed, and many hugs were embraced as students, staffs, and parents said goodbye to their high school years together and hello to their college years.

“It’s bittersweet. It’s sad, but I know we’re moving on to better things so I’m excited for the new experiences.” Shannon McGinnis reflected.

Charlotte Day-Smith, along with many other students, honored a graduation tradition to decorate her cap.
Michael Zelinka