Ship’s Log EXCLUSIVE – Secret Pool Finally Exposed!

Mr. Hart looks around to make sure no one is watching him enter the pool during his off period.

Megan Morris, Editor-in-Chief

Since CHS broke ground in the 1960s, there has been a constant rumor about the pool on the third floor that was only available to upperclassmen. CHS freshmen and sophomores always brush it off as a joke since they do not want to be perceived as gullible.

The Ship’s Log is here to tell all students that a pool DOES actually exist in the school but clearly there is no third floor housing a pool. The pool is actually located in the basement of the school and the only entrance is through the janitors office in the back hall.

“There’s only one secret place to enter the pool and it’s where I work, every other place is locked,” claimed Mr. Kennedy.

The pool is kept under wraps since it is not accessible during school hours, except 12th period for those seniors who have senior privilege.  The pool is something that no one knows about until they become a senior. The reason the Ship’s Log is exposing it is because of the new construction that will soon be consuming CHS. The construction will make obvious the pool since they will have to drain it before they can start any type of construction.

When asked if students try to sneak into the pool Mr Kennedy said “No” and that the pool is kept safely guarded; however, teachers are seen taking a dip in the pool every once in a while. Mr. Kennedy claimed that he likes to take go in the pool and “get away from every body” for a little bit.

At any time during the day, Mr. Hart could be found down at the pool. Despite the fact that it is not open during school hours and that he is supposed to be acting as a security guard in the front hallway while on hall duty, he would rather take a swim while taking a break from math.

Some people do not understand why the swim team has to go to the YMCA to practice and compete when there is a pool on school grounds. Well since the pool is in the basement and has only one entrance, it is extremely hard and inconvenient to both teams to get to the pool. Also the pool does not meet regulation rules for the team to compete in – it is a bit undersized.

The pool was donated to the school in 1986 from a generous benefactor. Some parents who attended CHS can probably remember unusually loud noises coming from the basement and odd construction equipment out back.

And, if you believe this story – you should also check the date on it!