Small Winter Luau Receives Successful Reviews

Juniors Riley Saint Elien and Anna Saginario and were named the Luau King and Queen.

Michael Zelinka, News Editor

Last Saturday’s Luau at Cinnaminson High School turned out to be a success, after a great deal of questions surrounded the dance.  Going into it, there were more questions than answers about the mid-winter dance.

However, after the dance many student who attended were glad that they did.  Senior Kelsey Treharne heard that, “it was a lot of fun. [I heard] the food and DJ were really good.” She knew that people were unsure on what the success of dance would be, “because a lot of people weren’t going, but based on what kids were saying, it sounds like a success. I wish I would’ve gone,” Kelsey concluded.

The possibility of small attendance was one of the fears of this dance, however, after the dance many students were happy about this. Sophomore Nicole McAneney shared that because there was, “a lot less people, you had more fun with your friends since you were with your group the whole time, not just a random bunch of people,” McAneney continued to say that because of the low attendance, “I actually got Chick-Fil-A this time.”

Senior Class president Dom Giggliotti also enjoyed the dance because of the smaller crowd.

“I enjoyed that there weren’t to many people there because there was a small amount of seniors and so we actually got to dance with each other and talk to each other,” Dom said.

The small size of this dance gave it a more intimate and friendly atmosphere. People could dance as they wanted without shame of their dance moves, or choose to not dance at all and there actually would be somewhere to sit.

Freshman Justin Arnold got exactly what he expected from this dance but was pleasantly surprised by the “match lists” of students traditionally given out to each attendee of the dance. Arnold was also excited about the luau-themed decorations. The decorations consisted of a Hawaiian luau backdrop, beams disguised as palm trees, complimentary leis, and floral patterns throughout the cafeteria and on the tables.

The theme that got originally confused students, got great reviews as it did offer, ‘an escape back to summer.’

“It was pretty fun, it was different cause it was Hawaiian themed in the winter,” told freshman Jacob Vermes.

Fellow freshman Larry Michalski, “felt that it met all of my needs—expectations. I liked it a lot. My favorite part was when they crowned the, I don’t know the exact name, The Hawaiian King and Queen.”

The ‘most compatible’ students at the dance (based on their questionnaire results) were awarded the titles “Big Kahuna and Princess Luau.”  This year they were juniors Riley Saint-Elien as the Big Kahuna and Anna Saginario as Princess Luau.

Upon winning the title, Saginario’s immediate reaction was “I laughed really hard. The crown was super cool so I was excited.” Besides winning the prestigious title of “Princess Luau” Saginario was very happy to have gone to the dance, “I mean who doesn’t like dancing? And what’s better than dancing and Chick-Fil-A right?”

Where as in the beginning people were skeptical of the dance and its popularity, it appears that everyone who went had a great time. Michalski had so much fun at this dance that he is, “…definitely going next year.”