Seniors Dominate Pep Rally and Claim Spirit Stick

Students and faculty show their surprised expressions as freshman representative Dan Rella battles junior representative Mike Beirao for his chair in musical chairs.

Megan Morris and Michael Zelinka

Once again, the seniors claimed the spirit stick for the 2014 Cinnaminson High School Spirit Week.

The theme for this year Spirit Week was “CHS Knows How to be Super.” The five options that were available to the grades were superheroes, supernatural, Superbowl, superstars, and Super Mario Brothers.

With the first pick, the seniors chose superheroes. The juniors then chose supernatural. The sophomores selected Superbowl, which consisted of all sports-related events. Finally, the freshman flipped a coin between superstars (celebrities) and Super Mario Brothers (all video games). The coin landed on superstars.

To many people’s dismay, spirit week was a bit broken up this year. Due to the lack of Friday home football games, the Homecoming game and the annual Thanksgiving game were consolidated into one. So with the game on Thursday, November 27th, the week started on Thursday, November 20th with Disney Day. The next day was Western Day. Saturday, November 22nd was the Homecoming Dance. Then Monday was Pirate Day. Tuesday was Theme Day. Finally, Wednesday was class color day and the much anticipated Pep Rally.

With Spirit Week comes the Penny Race and the Canned Food drives. Because of last years aggressiveness with the Penny Race, the rules were changed. Instead of having the water jugs outside the front office, the coins were brought to Student Council advisers Ms. Iaconelli and Mr. Matt Perekupka who were then informed with the desired location of the silver or pennies. The winners of the Penny Race were the seniors. In order from second to fourth were the sophomores, juniors and freshmen.

The canned food drive followed the same rules as years before; each class attempted to bring in the most amount of canned food for the Jane Weilenbeck fund. Classes got extra points for the more complete meals they had. The winners of the Canned Food Drive were the sophomores. In order from second to fourth were the seniors, juniors and freshmen.

The most anticipated event of Spirit Week is the Pep Rally. With all the grades dressed from head to toe in their designated class color, the school spirit is overwhelmingly prominent the minute you walk in the doors. With only 16 minute classes on this half day, all students could focus on were the games they would be playing and the cheers they would be screaming from the minute they entered the gym at 10:30 to the minute they left at 12:02.

As always, the Pep Rally started with a performance by the CHS Cheerleaders.

After the cheerleader’s performance was the Tug-of-War. The first round was the seniors versus the freshmen and the seniors, without surprise, the seniors won that one. The juniors and the sophomores then battled each other. That battle resulted in a win for the sophomores. To determine first and second place, the seniors took on the sophomores. Ultimately, the seniors overpowered the sophomores and won the first game of the pep rally.

Musical chairs gets instense between some staff members.

The senior class of 2015, who have beaten the Class of 2014 in pep rally games the previous two years, went on to win the first four games. They didn’t lose until a new game called “donut on a string” where the sophomores made their presence noticed. A person from each grade had to eat three donuts off of a string. The catch is that they can’t use their hands. If the donut were to fall off the rope, the student then had to eat the donut off the tarp that was laid out for them. The sophomore representative Jimmy Sullivan finished his three donuts before any other grade, giving the sophomores the first place spot. The sophomores then cheered for themselves by screaming “we eat donuts!”

Class advisors and officers try and knock down the pins.

There were only four more games left after the donut eating contest. One of them was the coveted Apple Sauce Sip. Senior Dylan Wolfinger walked into this years pep rally as a three-time champion in this game. With whatever strategy he came up with on how to eat apple sauce the fastest, he once again won for the seniors.

Senior Dylan Wolfinger casually, but quickly, drinks his applesauce through a straw, bringing home a victory for the  fourth year in a row.
Megan Morris
Senior Dylan Wolfinger casually, but quickly, drinks his applesauce through a straw, bringing home a victory for the fourth year in a row.

Due to time restrictions, the pep rally was cut short and some games had to be cut out. After the last game, the results of Spirit Week were announced by Ms. Iaconelli. Third and fourth places were relatively easy to predict with how the week played out. The freshmen were given fourth place with 288 points. The juniors earned third place with 353. First and second place were nerve racking to wait for the results. The sophomores had high participation in dress-up-days and won the canned food drive so they were only 10 points away from the seniors before the pep rally. But as it always seems to work out, the seniors won spirit week and the spirit stick. The seniors beat the sophomores with a score of 452 to 396.

The students react to pep rally results.

After this holiday break, school will return to normal. There will no longer be posters covering the windows or students dressed as superheroes or Disney characters.